Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Skinny Texas Cheese Fries

These seemed to have the most feedback on instagram and I figured it was a good (and simple) recipe to start with. I found the recipe on skinnytaste.com and altered it for what I liked, so feel free to play around with it. Most importantly, it makes a decent size portion and it’s only 259 calories versus the usual 500 million. I’m not even sure I’m exaggerating there. Makes 2 servings.

  • 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, skin on
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp smoked paprika 
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (if you don’t like spicy, omit this)
  • 1/2  tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • Salt and pepper to your preference 
  • 1 slice bacon (I used turkey bacon), cooked and chopped
  • 1/3 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 tbsp diced scallions
  • Jalapenos to taste if desired


Preheat oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

Cut each potato lengthwise into ¼ inch thin slices; then cut each slice into ¼ inch fries (I cut them smaller for thinner fries)

In a large bowl, toss oil and potatoes. Add seasoning and combine until evenly coated.

Place in a single layer on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes (turning halfway through) until crisp.

Remove from oven and place in an oven safe dish (I just used a medium skillet). Top with cheese, scallions, and bacon. 

Return to the oven for 2 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve with low fat ranch or blue cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment